(1) The Chinese language program begins in September and March. Students are divided into classes of different levels and learn Chinese step by step. (Students may transfer to a short-term program in the middle of the semester). We provide elective courses and arrange students to attend concerts, organize get-togethers, trips and visiting activities to help them acquire a broad knowledge of Chinese society and culture.
(2) Core courses
Intensive reading (including writing), extensive reading, listening, speaking and Chinese characters writing
(3) Elective Courses
① General elective courses include Music Chinese, HSK training, Tai Chi, calligraphy, Chinese culture and Shanghai dialect. (General courses will open if more than five students have registered.)
②Music training course include Chinese musical instruments (Erhu, Pipa, Dizi), piano, orchestral instruments and voice, etc. Courses are taught on one-to-one basis.
(4) Study length: Non-degree Program lasts one to two years. Students who pass the final examination will receive a non-degree certificate.
Schedules of courses for long-term program are as follows according to the academic calendar:
Core courses: 20 class hours per week (45 minutes per class hour), 18 teaching weeks.
General elective courses: 2 class hours per week, 10 teaching weeks per semester. (General courses open in the second month after the semester commences according to the numbers of applicants.)
Music training course:
Elementary Course: 16 class hours per semester
Advanced Course: 10 class hours per semester
(Class hours may be added or reduced according to students’ requirements.)
Group class: 5 to 20 students for each class
Individual class: one to one, one to two, one to three and one to four classes.
(1) General Requirements: International applicants aged above 16 and under 65.
(2) Application and Enrollment Timeline
Application can be made at any time before December 10 and the program begins in February or March of the next year.
Application can be made at any time before June 10 and the program begins in September.
(3) Documents Required for Application
Application Form for International Student in Shanghai Conservatory of Music (The form can be downloaded at our website)
A copy of your passport
Medical certificate (optional if study length is less than 6 months)
Three photos (35mm×53mm)
※Please submit the above documents by mail to SHCM International Students Office. Documents submitted will not be returned. Application fees paid are non-refundable.
※Application fee can be sent by mail with the application documents or paid by bank transfer. Applicant’s full name and the payment certificate should be entered in case of payment by bank transfer.
a) Upon verification of the application documents, applicants who pass the entrance examination and satisfy the Chinese language requirements will receive an admission notice to SHCM and Visa Application for Study in China (JW202).
b) International students should apply for a visa at the Embassy/Consulate of People’s Republic of China with their admission notice and Visa Application for Study in China (JW202).
c) Newly-admitted students should register and pay the tuition at SHCM International Students Office on the date specified in the admission notice. Students who cannot register on time under exceptional circumstances should submit their applications for deferred admission to the International Students Office and change their registration date upon approval.